Remote Access Setup and Installation Instructions
The Secure Remote Access service using the Pulse Secure VPN client provides EPA employees, contractors and Business Partners the ability to connect to EPA resources while at an Alternate Work Location (AWL). The SSL VPN service using the Pulse Secure VPN client provides remote users with a safe and secure connection between the user's computer and the EPA network.
Automatic Installation of Pulse Secure VPN client software (GFE and returning non-GFE computers):
If you have used the EPA's Remote Access service in the past using the Pulse Secure VPN client, No install or other action is required. The Pulse Secure VPN client and installer software will automatically be checked, updated and run when selecting any of the connect links using the Pulse Secure VPN client.
Installer and Setup Options for Non-GFE Computers - First Time Users
Installer and setup options are available below for non-GFE computers that have never connected to EPA's Remote Access service, have limited desktop privileges or are having problems with the automatic installation process. Installation of software requires elevated or administrative rights to your computer. If you do not have elevated rights to the computer, you will need to work someone who does to setup and install the Pulse Secure VPN client and installer software. Do not uninstall the old Juniper Network Connect or VPN programs unless a complete, new install is required.
Options for installing the Pulse Secure VPN client and installer software on non-GFE computers
Please use one of the software install options below. The options are listed in order of preference. Most users will be able to setup the Pulse Secure VPN client and installer software with option 1. Proceed to the 2nd or 3rd options if needed.
- Pulse Secure Installer Service (.exe) - Elevated/admin privileges are required for initial install. Once installed, this simplifies future installations and
upgrades of the Pulse Secure's client software for users with limited desktop privileges. Use this self-extracting .exe package unless a specific requirement
exists for Microsoft Windows Installer (msi) packages. This package can be deployed with limited user privileges if a previous version of the Juniper or Pulse
Secure Installer Service is running. Download and run:
- Pulse Secure Installer Service (.msi) - Elevated/admin privileges required for initial install. Once installed, this simplifies future installation and upgrades of Pulse Secure's client software for users with limited desktop privileges. Deploy this Microsoft Windows Installer (msi) package if your organization or infrastructure requires msi packages. One such example would be automated software installation using Microsoft Systems Management Server. Download and run:
- Pulse Secure Client Installer - Elevated/admin privileges are required. This setup application can be used to directly install Pulse Secure VPN client. These links can also be used to pre-install the Pulse Secure VPN client on non-GFE computers. Select the appropriate download link for your computer:
Note: Once installed, the Pulse Secure VPN client may automatically open at Startup. If this is not desired, the following instructions allow someone with administrative privileges to change the behavior:
- Open "System Configuration" as an admin with msconfig.exe or through the Start >> Administrative Tools >> System Configuration.
- Select the "Startup" tab.
- Un-check or Disable the "Pulse Secure" Startup Item.
- Select the Apply button and/or exit the program.